[Savannah-hackers] submission of EMMS - savannah.gnu.org

From: forcer
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of EMMS - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:19:53 -0500

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Jorgen Schäfer <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: EMMS
System name: emms
Type: GNU

emms, the Emacs MultiMedia System, is an Emacs Lisp package that

allows the playback of multimedia files. It is designed to be easily

extensible for various external players. Currently, it supports mpg321

and ogg123.

The source code is available on

http://www.kollektiv-hamburg.de/~forcer/emms.el - basic file

http://www.kollektiv-hamburg.de/~forcer/emms-321.el - players for mpg321

                                                      and ogg123

>From http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/EMMS :

EMMS is the Emacs Multi-Media System. It tries to be a clean and small

application to play multimedia files from Emacs using external players. Many

of it's ideas are derived from MpthreePlayer, but it tries to be more general

and more clean.

Design:

  * emms.el - The main file. This does only contain the bare minimum code to

    work, but provides hooks and variables to easily extend it. Contents:

      + A player interface

      + A simple playlist (vector+index)

      + Functions to combine these two and to use them as the user

      + Nothing else

  * emms-123.el - Players for mpg321 and ogg123

  * emms-playlist.el - A buffer to edit the playlist

  * emms-info.el - ID3 tags, OGG comments etc. editing and extraction. (It

    would be nice if it could hook into the main functionality to get the name

    for the file, so the user can optionally have this instead of pure

    filenames)

Also:

  * Some more player files (play, xmms, mplayer, xine ;)

Missing:

  * emms-lang.el - i18n support

  * emms-popup.el - Maybe include in emms-playlist.el?

  * emms-remote.el - Popup window/frame with widgets for the main functions

  * emms-scores.el - Scoring. Is anyone using this?

    Are there any links to the source for this at the moment, or is it more

    wishlist-like? -- LawrenceMitchell

The core is available at http://kollektiv-hamburg.de/~forcer/emms.el A simple

player for mpg123 is available at http://kollektiv-hamburg.de/~forcer/

emms-123.el A cleaner player, for both mpg321 and ogg123 is available at:

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~terryp/emms-321.el (although the ogg-part hasn't been

tested yet)

Other Software Required:
mpg321

ogg123

any other external player you want to use ;)

emms.el can live without any player. You can't play anything then, though.

Oh, of course it requires GNU Emacs (XEmacs not tested), but it said "minimum"
ther, so this is a given.

Other Comments:
Other Comments? Uhm, I want to greet my dad and my sister, and my colleagues...
oops, wrong section.

It's a complete rewrite of mp3player (http://www.nongnu.org/mp3player)

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/