[Savannah-hackers] submission of Java-only font library for GNU Classpat

From: brawer
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Java-only font library for GNU Classpath - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:12:55 -0500

Sascha Brawer <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: The license is GPL with the same clarification and linking
exception as used by GNU Classpath. I would not want to change this, because
the goal of the library is eventual inclusion into GNU Classpath.
Package: Java-only font library for GNU Classpath
System name: cpfontlib
Type: non-GNU

A Java-only library for parsing font files, extracting font names in various
languages, and performing glyph selection based on the contents of OpenType
font tables. This is intended as a pluggable font library for eventual
inclusion into GNU Classpath. It is providing services to the GNU Classpath
implementation of java.awt.font.

Please see http://www.dandelis.ch/development/fonts/ for a description of the
project, including the source code. It also has been briefly discussed during a
meeting of GNU Classpath developers (at a workshop on Java graphics that I've
organized during Linux-Kongress 2003 in Saarbrücken/Germany).

People at RedHat have been working on a very different approach for
implementing java.awt.font, namely by providing wrappers around the Cairo and
FreeType libraries. We had some discussions about the appropriate way of
implementing Java2D fonts, and came to the conclusion that we should allow for
both their and my approach. Each has its advantages. If you want to, I can
elaborate this further. We also have settled on a common interface for
pluggable font libraries, although my code does not yet implement it (neither
does theirs).

However, the code is currently not ready for production, which is why I think
it should not yet be included with Classpath. Some features are missing, some
bugs are present, etc. This is also described at the above URL.

Recently, I have been contacted by someone who is willing to do some work on
the implementation. It would be easiest if we had a cvs repository somewhere,
such as at nongnu.org.

Other Software Required:
Dependencies are listed at the project home page
(http://www.dandelis.ch/development/fonts/). The test application does yet not
work with free Java environments. However, this is being worked on. For
example, I've recently checked in a number of amendments to the GNU Classpath
version of java.awt.geom.* which are needed for this font library.

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/