[Savannah-hackers] renaming of a project (vpe)

From: pcg
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] renaming of a project (vpe)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 07:58:32 +0200

Hi!

First of all, I tried to submit this through the "Get Support"
tracker on savannah.gnu.org, but only got redirected to
https://savannah.gnu.org/include/calendar.js, which gave me a 404 not
found.

Anyways, I have a question. The nongnu project "vpe" has become a gnu
package yesterday, and I wonder how much effort it would be to rename
the project from "vpe" to "gvpe" along the way.

There are two motivations behind the name change:

"vpe" is a rather general term and find things like "virtual print
engine for windows", "virtual palm encyclopedia" and many other
unrelated pages with web search engines.

"gvpe" however is much rarer, so the name change would help users find
what they are looking for.

I also want to change the name of the programs inside the package from
vped to gvpe and vpectrl to gvpectrl, so that the daemon resembles the
name of the package and the control program controls the program of the
same name.

If it's hard or a lot of work to change the name then I will happily
keep the old name. If it's reasonably easy to rename it then right now
would be the perfect opportunity.

Thanks a lot for any help!

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       address@hidden      |e|