Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SLOCCount - savannah.nongnu.org (xy

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SLOCCount - savannah.nongnu.org (xyzzy)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 14:57:49 -0400 (EDT)

> In a way it is ticking it off the check list, but like I said before,
> it's policy.

Hmm, not the ringing justification I was hoping for :-(.

> It's not certain.  What if, for example, the COPYING file somehow got
> corrupted, and the user doesn't even know what the GPL is?  Then all
> they will know is that the software is under a license called the GPL.
> Disregarding the corrupted COPYING file, how does the user know to
> check the COPYING file?

"Released under the X" is actually enough, since if you don't know the
rules, you'd better worry.  And it's an unlikely developer who doesn't
know what the GPL is nowadays.

Doesn't matter, since I've done it.

> One file (driver.h) doesn't have the permission-to-copy statements like
> the others.  Would you mind changing that?  If so, I will (finally)
> approve your project! :)

Done.  Version 2.26.

--- David A. Wheeler <address@hidden>