Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Documenta??o do GNU Emacs em Portug

From: Marcelo Toledo
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Documenta??o do GNU Emacs em Portugu?s Brasileiro - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:43:45 -0300

Elfyn McBratney <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 09:46:03AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
>> A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
>> This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
>>

>> Marcelo Toledo <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
>> License: fdl
>> Other License: All this documentation already exist, so we will
>>   not modify license terms, we will continue to use the same
>>   license as the documentation was released.
>> Package: Documentação do GNU Emacs em Português Brasileiro
>> System name: emacs-br
>> Type: GNU
>
> Your project is not part of the GNU project, and as such, cannot be
> a project of type `GNU'.  If your project is accepted, it will be
> hosted at nongnu.org.

True. I agree.

>> The objective of this project is to translate Emacs documentation,
>> and other important files. The first one to be translated will be
>> the GNU Emacs Manual. After this we will continue updating all
>> translated files and other documentations.
>>
>> Emacs is a potential tool but it lacks good documentation in
>> Portuguese, that's a reason to lose good users. I've introduced
>> GNU Emacs to many people and after a while they stoped using it,
>> or even, haven't started because it lacks good documentation in
>> portuguese. This project aim to change this subject.
>>
>> I've already translated the TUTORIAL and hope to translate the
>> GNU Emacs Manual, Emacs Lisp Intro, Emacs Lisp Reference, FAQ
>> and other important files.
>
> Would it perhaps be better for your translations to be made/live
> in their respective packages?  Have you spoken with the GNU emacs
> maintainers to see if they would let you do that?

Maybe it can be a good idea in the future, but right now it is near to
impossible, we have huge ducmentations to translate and some people that
will work on it are not developers of Emacs. Having them with cvs write
access would not be intersting and, making me the only one that can
commit changes will make it unflexible.

Right now we need a cvs repository and a mailing list so we can work on
it, and after a substacial part of the documentation translated I will
suggest the modification of the directories in the main tree and insert
the new files in the cvs. But right now, it must be done outside the
main tree.

So it will be hosted at nongnu.org, how's the status of the pending
project then?

thanks a lot and best regards,