Re: [Savannah-hackers] blueos

From: Sylvain BEUCLER
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] blueos
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:55:51 +0200

Hello,

Criteria to be hosted at Savannah are primarily to run on a free
operating system (non proprietary dependencies), to be licensed under
a GNU General Public License compatible license, and to contain the
appropriate copyright and license notices in each non-trivial file.

The last one permits to avoid legal issues.
Maybe you'll be interested in reading this:
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_4.html

You do not have to include a copy of the GNU [L]GPL in each file, we
are talking about a license notice, stating the file is released under
the GNU GPL (not the GNU GPL itself), along with an appropriate
copyright notice.

Note that the requirement is to be compatible with the GNU GPL, not
the GNU LGPL. We feel that being compatible with the GNU GPL is an
important issue, and we do not host GPL-incompatible code at Savannah,
although we accept that projects rely on GPL-incompatible but free
software hosted at another place.

We indeed do focus on aspects related to user freedom, more than on
technical ones, so the licensing terms are important to us.

I understand it is not a very interesting job to add license and
copyright notices; legal issues have be dealt with at a point or
another of the development, though.

PS: oh yeah, code like
void main(void) {
        return 0;
}
is small enough not to include a copy of the GNU GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCWhatIfWorkIsShort)
;)