Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:12:12 +0200

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 01:39:41PM +0800, I.J.Wang wrote:
> address@hidden
>
>    I submitted a project WxLib on savannah 6 months ago or so
> The project name had changed to WyLib(libwy) since, please refer to
>  sourceforge.net/projects/libwx
>  freshmeat.net/projects/libwx
>
> It would be appreciated that you host my project. However, submitting a
> new project or updating for another 6 month would be a lot of
> inconvenience for me.

First, we set up a system of queue so as to deal with our huge current
pending projects list. I now started reviewing your project, and your
replies will be considered before other projects submitted after
yours. I may however ask you to resubmit the project if I feel the
required changes will take too long (ie more than one week).

Before releasing your project under the LGPL, please place copyright
notices and permission to copy statements at the beginning of every
file of source code (even short ones).

For further instructions, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html#SEC4

Please also remove or rewrite the "Copyright" section in README.TXT:

> FILES are created works except those parts that are elementary or text less
> than two lines or from the GNU LGPL licensed material; hence, the author
> hereby declars FILES licensed under the terms of GNU Lesser Genrral Public
> License by disclaiming all own copyright out of the given.
> See file COPYING for GNU LGPL.
>
> The following notes are mentioned, void if conflict exists with the
> GNU LGPL terms.
>
> Note 1: Applicable social law varies where FILES are distributed and used.
>         Law of Nature dominates.
>
> Note 2: Warranty and services should come, upon agreed fairness, with
>         payment to whoever willing to provide them, vice versa.
> Note 3: Bugs may exist in FILES to discover and fix.
> Note 4: FILES are intended to be freely used if it is constructive to the
>         benefit of public knowledge.
>
> FILES refers to the files distributed.
> USERS refers to those who use FILES.

To avoid any legal issue, it would be good to present these as
comments, not legal text.

Moreover, as stated above, we feel each file should carry a copyright
and license notice, that is clearer. The license notice comes with a
non-warranty statement, and the LGPL contains the full non-warranty
text. So the text is not needed.

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide
us with an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we
will reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.