[Savannah-hackers] Savannah Project Approval [CjVgS]

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah Project Approval [CjVgS]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:01:32 -0400

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 04:33:48 -0400, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

> Frédéric Déléchamp <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: lgpl
> Other License:
> Package: CjVgS
> System name: cjvgs
> Type: non-GNU

> Yet Another Graphical Interface for CVS written in Java.
> The purpose of this project is to provide a gui for cvs that will be able to
run in Linux-like OSes.
> The shape of this gui is close to WinCVS so that people aren't lost while
using it.
> Right now, there is no source code available, but it is made in Java, with
Ant support, javacvs (javacvs.netbeans.org) and maybe JFreeChart (for future
:-).
> It is planned to split this project in three parts:
> - the gui itself
> - a library used to build the gui according to a XML description
> - a 'management project', that will take care of the Ant scripts used to
build the project.
> This splitting may be useful as the last two project may be heavily reused.
>
> Other Software Required:
> Java, Swing, Ant, JUnit, javacvs-library
>
> Other Comments:
> How to manage the Swing problem?

Your project requires proprietary software and cannot be
hosted on Savannah for this reason.

Four of the required packages have licenses incompatible with the GPL.
Swing (Sun Public License)
Ant (Apache Software License, version 2.0)
JUnit (Common Public License)
javacvs-library (Sun Public License)

Savannah is willing to provide resources and time to developers
writing Free Software that can be used without the need to ask
permission from a proprietary software vendor.

If, someday, you get free of those dependencies (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/java for more information), do not
hesitate to resubmit your project.

Thank you for your understanding.

Michael J. Flickinger