Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of APE Project - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of APE Project - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:36:28 +0200

> Lucas Rocha <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: APE Project
> System name: apeproject
> Type: non-GNU

> APE Project aims to develop a set of open source, object-oriented,
> well-documented and PEAR (http://pear.php.net) compliant components
> that together form a simple yet powerful PHP application basic
> development plataform. APE Project comprises initially three
> componentes: a very extensible template engine called COAT, a MVC
> (Model-View-Controller) model implementation for Web application
> called UIRAH and a component architecture that provides services
> like persistency, authentication/authorization and distribution
> called TATOO. APE is all writen with PHP5.
>
> For now, COAT has a initial functional version available at...
> http://coisa.im.ufba.br/~lucasr/projetos/ape/Coat-0.1.tgz

Coat uses the "Config" PEAR package. Unfortunately, Config is released
under the PHP License version 2, which is incompatible with the GNU
GPL.

It would be good if this package were release under a GPL-compatible
license approved by PEAR such as the GNU LGPL or the modified BSD
license. The PHP Group might agree to rerelease this package under
such license. Maybe we can try contact them, if you wish.

Otherwise, you could try to get rid of this dependency.

Be extremely careful when dealing with PEAR modules. I saw that
several of them alas use GPL-incompatible licenses :(

> ...and a non-function version of UIRAH
> http://coisa.im.ufba.br/~lucasr/projetos/ape/Uirah-0.1.tgz

In order to release your project properly and unambiguously under the
GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy statements
at the beginning of every file of source code.

In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
text version of the GPL, available from
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Additional instructions are available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code,
for example, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

> There's nothing done (no code) yet (ideas only) for TATOO.
>

> Other Software Required:
> APE was written with PHP5

Ok.

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide
us with an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we
will reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.