Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Blasters - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Blasters - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:29:04 +0100

Apologies for the huge delay!

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 01:45:32PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Damien Laniel <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Free Blasters
> System name: freeblasters
> Type: non-GNU

> Our project :
>
> This project is a Free software project, _not_ part of the GNU project.
>
> Our game :
>
> Freeblasters will be a multiplayer, 2D action game like metal slug in some
> ways. The context is a war between Free sotware and Proprietary software
> (classical stuff ;) ). Its main characters will be Free software mascots
> like Tux, Beastie and a gnu ;). The optionnal main characters are symbolics
> of proprietary software, optionnal because this might change if we encounter
> law problems with this.

We do not want want the gnu to look subordinate to the tux.  Could you go into
a bit more detail about how the characters in the game are presented, how they
are described and how they are presented to the user?

> The goal of our game is to be a fun and addictive game for the Free
> community.
>
> More technical stuff :
>
> Our game is developped in C++ and uses Clanlib framework
> <http://www.clanlib.org> which is released under the LGPL.
> We don't have any code of the game yet because we are still designing it.
> The only code we have is the web site sources
> <http://cedrelek.homelinux.com/freeblasters/download/freeblasters_www.tar.bz2>
>
> Our main developpement platform is Debian GNU/Linux and our primary supported
> platform is GNU/Linux. Ports to *BSD and even Microsoft Windows may be done
> later.
> Debian packages will be provided.
>
> External tools we use include subversion and autotools.
> We only use free software to write the code, make the images and so on
> But we may accept some contributions made with proprietary software, provided
> the files are in a patent-free format.
>
> Our web site :
>
> http://cedrelek.homelinux.com/freeblasters/index.php
> It doesn't have much content yet, but already a good xhtml 1.1 / css 2
> structure.

Please note, that we do not provide support for PHP (or any other server-side
scripting technologies), only static content (HTML, CSS, images, etc).

> File formats :
>
> Our image files are made with gimp, saved as png.
> Our music files are ogg files.
> Our sound files are wav files.
>
> Licensing :
>
> Our project will be released under the GPL license
>
> As we take care a lot of licensing problems, we make sure every files we use
> but
> don't make, including data files like images or music, are totally Free to
> use.
>

> Other Software Required:
> Our game depends only on Clanlib framework <http://www.clanlib.org> which is
> released under the LGPL.
>
> Other Comments:
> About us : we are 4 french students in computer science
>
> About our hosting : we don't need a cvs repository because we use subversion.
> Why we want to register on savannah is for the other stuff, like permanent
> web site hosting and mailing lists.
>
> By the way, it may not be the place for a question but : do you consider
> adding
> support for subversion ? If so, we would prefer to host all the project files
> on Savannah because it's more reliable than our home-made server we use for
> now.

Elfyn McBratney
beu on irc.freenode.net/savannah.[non]gnu.org

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4