Re: Res: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SABIAN - Academic Control Syst

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: Res: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SABIAN - Academic Control System Interne - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:47:28 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 11:31:00PM -0300, Rodrigo F. Moglia wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> Code was revised and include your header and some modifications.
> I?m resend and submit the code to your aproval.

Some files still lack a header or use the previous one (in
subdirectories). Can you fix that?

> Is possible change copyright to FSF?
>
> * Copyright (C) 2003, 2004  INDUX, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - Brasil
> * Copyright (C) 2003, 2004  FSF, Boston, MA - USA
>
> In other case brazilian copyright INDUX and other countries to FSF.
> or Dual Copyright.
>
> I agree for first option giving all copyright to FSF.

I suggest you contact address@hidden .  They should answer your
questions better than I can.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html also
contains some information and overview of the copyright assignment.

> Some im continue suport aplication free future versions to comunity and
> INDUX get money from Sabian Comercial Support.
>
> Is correct idea proced like a codeweavers (crossover office), giving to
> comunity modifications and having a comercial version?
> Is a correct model for free software bissness?

Note that commercial does not mean proprietary.

Free Software means that users have certain freedoms; it does not mean
zero price.  "Commercial" means "associated with business"; a commercial
program may be free or non-free, depending on its license.  So it is a
mistake to treat "free" and "commercial" as contraries.  When a business
develops free software, that is free commercial software.

Also check http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

We do not consider that maintaining both a free and a *proprietary*
version is a correct free software business model. If you want to
discuss this point, I suggest you contact Richard M. Stallman at
address@hidden, explaining your plans.