Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Enterprise - savannah.nongnu.o

From: Alaska Subedi
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Enterprise - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:38:52 -0400

address@hidden writes:

 > Ian Bangs <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
 > License: gpl
 > Other License:
 > Package: Free Enterprise
 > System name: free-enterprise
 > Type: non-GNU

 > Free Enterprise is an open-source enterprise management system.
 >
 > The goal is to create the basic framework of a business, so that
 > entrepreneurs may focus on developing the business instead of the
 > infrastructure.
 >
 > Detailed documentation will be necessary to explain the consequences
 > of various decisions. References will be needed for various industries
 > that have special regulations and procedures.
 >
 > Although not a replacement for an accountant, attorney, office manager,
 > clerks, janitor... it is hoped that Free Enterprise will
 > make the jobs of these people easier.
 >
 > I hope it will be especially useful for small businesses that can't
 > afford commercial systems. To that end, some example business models will be
 > included (small bookstore, veterinary clinic, etc.).
 >
 > I do not have a place to host my project at the moment, however a shallow
 > view of the table of contents of my current notes follows:
 >

 > Start Up
 >
 >   Business Plan
 >     Executive Summary
 >     Industry, Customer, and Competitor Analysis
 >     Company and Product Description
 >     Marketing Plan
 >     Sales and Customer Service
 >     Operations Plan
 >     Development Plan
 >     Team
 >     Critical Risks
 >     Offering
 >     Financial Plan
 >
 >   Organization / Incorporation
 >     Entity Type
 >     Articles of Incorporation
 >     By-Laws
 >     Organizational Meetings
 >     Corporate Record Book
 >     Business Registrations
 >
 >   Raising Capital
 >     Choice of Security
 >     Sale of Securities
 >     Venture Capital
 >     Mezzanine Financing
 >     Public Offering
 >     Corporate Partnering / Strategic Alliance
 >
 >   After Establishing the Business
 >     Real Estate
 >     Licensing Agreements
 >     Trademark and Patent Registration
 >     Stock Sale Agreements
 >     Asset Purchase Agreements
 >     Franchise Agreements
 >     Employment Agreements
 >     Shareholder Agreements
 >     Confidentiality Agreements
 >     Letters of Intent
 >     Opinion Letters
 >
 > Operations
 >

 > Marketing
 >   Market Research
 >   Market Analysis
 >

 > Sales and Customer Service
 >

 > Operations
 >
 >   Products
 >     Equipment
> [...]

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software movement, not
projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means
something pretty close to Free Software, it's frequently
misunderstood.  For more information, please see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

Also, will your software work witha a free SQL engine/server like
MySQL or PostgreSQL?

Please send me a tarball of your project by email (address@hidden,
if you have started coding.

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at
the beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help catch
potential omissions such as these.

Regards,

Alaska Subedi