Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of fluxus - savannah.gnu.org

From: Dave Griffiths
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of fluxus - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:58:15 +0100

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:37:34 -0400, Alaska Subedi wrote
> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
>
> address@hidden writes:
>  > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
>  > This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
>  >
>  >
>  > Dave Griffiths <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
>  > License: gpl
>  > Other License:
>  > Package: fluxus
>  > System name: fluxus
>  > Type: GNU
>  >
>  > Fluxus is a small realtime render engine for linux that generates
> animation from sound. >  > Procedural shapes can be built with
> values derived from the content of specific harmonics in the
> incoming sound. Also availible is a full physics system built from
> the ode library, and a simple artificial life flocking system. >  >
> Fluxus adheres to the livecoding philosopy (see
> http://www.toplap.org/) and has been used on stage in live
> performance programming. >  > The application consists of a 3D
> render engine built on top of OpenGL, which is bound via guile to a
> scheme interpreter. The user can control the application only by
> entering scheme commands or by running previously saved scripts,
> using the script editor GUI window. >  >
> http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/
>  >
>  > Other Software Required:
>  > guile      http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html
>  > fltk       http://www.fltk.org/
>  > ode        http://opende.sourceforge.net/
>  > fftw       http://www.fftw.org/
>  > portaudio  http://www.portaudio.com/
>  > libsndfile http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile
>  >
>  > Other Comments:
>  >

> The copyright notices in the source files have the term
> ``Copyleft''. This does not have any legal meaning, so please use
> Copyright in the notices. For more information, please see
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#WhatIsCopyleft : "To
> copyleft a program, we first state that it is copyrighted", so they
> understand Copyleft is based on Copyright, it is not public domain.

ok, thanks for bringing this to my attention. will fix (in the live noise
tools source too)

> The license of portaudio seems GPL-incompatible and possibly unfree
> because of its second condition. We have asked address@hidden
> regarding this issue. Do you want us to contact the portaudio
> developer and ask if she/he wants to release it under BSD or GNU LGPL?

It does seem a little more restrictive than the GPL - I don't want to cause
problems over this, would fluxus be elligable for non-gnu with this
dependancy, or would I have to drop portaudio support completely?

cheers,

dave