Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of fluxus - savannah.gnu.org

From: Alaska Subedi
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of fluxus - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:48:17 -0400

Dave Griffiths wrote:

ok, thanks for bringing this to my attention. will fix (in the live noise
tools source too)

The license of portaudio seems GPL-incompatible and possibly unfree
because of its second condition. We have asked address@hidden
regarding this issue. Do you want us to contact the portaudio
developer and ask if she/he wants to release it under BSD or GNU LGPL?

It does seem a little more restrictive than the GPL - I don't want to cause
problems over this, would fluxus be elligable for non-gnu with this
dependancy, or would I have to drop portaudio support completely?

Hi,

I apologize for the delay again. I had emailed address@hidden about
the license of portaudio. I have not recieved the reply yet.

Since portaudio is GPL incompatible and possibly non-free, your program
cannot legally depend on it. Fluxus will not be eligible for non-gnu
either.

If it turns out that portaudio's license is free but GPL incompatible,
you may release your program under some other license which is GPL
compatible (like modified BSD).

I think that the author of portaudio tried to make something like GNU
LGPL. Do you want me to contact him/her and ask if it is possible to
release portaudio under any license that is GPL compatible?

I cannot approve the project in this state (and you cannot also release
it in this state). I would approve the project if you drop portaudio.
May be you use portaudio once the situation has been clarified?

Did you send me the URL of the tarballs with the copyright notices
fixed? Seems like I have lost it. I would approve livenoisetools if
you have replaced `Copyleft' with `Copyright (C)'.

Thanks,

Alaska Subedi