[Savannah-hackers] [support #102680] Write-access to CVS via rsync or si

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [support #102680] Write-access to CVS via rsync or similar
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 05:09:42 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the support tracker
 of the project: Savannah Administration.

[support #102680] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Savannah Administration
Submitted by: Simon Josefsson
On: Sun 12/28/2003 at 11:15

Category:  None

Original Submission:  I'd like to keep the real CVS repository for some
projects on my local machine, but take advantage of your facilities to allow
others to access the CVS versions.  Do you support this?  Are there any
software that simplify this?

IMHO, for me, the simplest would be if I could get rsync over ssh write-access
to the CVS root of my projects.  Is  this possible?

Later: Rudy Gevaert said it is not currently possible, hence I'm opening this
support request.

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Sat 03/13/2004 at 16:48       By: Sylvain Beucler <Beuc>
I think the admins' strategy is not to give accounts - only controled access.
So:
- it may be possible to set up a controled rsync access just like a controled
CVS access, but given the huge amount of time the later is currently requiring,
there is no hope this can be done before some months, if ever :/
- there is no rsync daemon at fencepost, and we do not have access there, it is
a different machine. This also means cron jobs do not have a ssh account to
connect with at fencepost.

There could be some other solutions, eg uploading a tarball with the latest
changes in your download area. However, I suggest we think about it later -
again - because sysadmins are currently concentrating on some remaining issues
at Savannah.

I set this request priority to 'Later', so it is still open, and I will check
with sysadmins as soon as they are done.

Date: Sat 03/06/2004 at 19:10       By: Simon Josefsson <jas>
Sorry, that sould have been 'but the savannah system MIGHT already have access
to it over ssh'.  I don't know whether you have access to fencepost too.

Date: Sat 03/06/2004 at 19:07       By: Simon Josefsson <jas>
I wanted to use Savannah instead, to avoid having my CVS/rsync servers publicly
visible (I don't have the man-power to keep track of security problems in
ssh/rsync).  Write-access via rsync at savannah would be the simplest, then I
can just sync my CVS repository with yours.  Perhaps I can set up something
similar using some weird 'cvs admin' command, but it sounded like work when I
had that idea initially.

Hm.  Can you rsync from fencepost.gnu.org?  I have ssh access to it, so I can
copy my local repository to that machine, and then you could sync from it.  I
don't think it runs a rsync server though, but the savannah system already have
access to it over ssh (so you could use rsync over ssh).

Date: Sat 03/06/2004 at 17:16       By: Sylvain Beucler <Beuc>
Forget what I said - anybody could publish his software on his website and then
delete it. The policy is rather aimed at keeping sources available even when
the developers stop working on them.

Anyway, we have 2 projects here that are synced hourly here with a 'pull'
method. So if you can setup a rsync server where Savannah could get the
sources, it should be possible. You then have to check with address@hidden

Date: Thu 02/19/2004 at 20:55       By: Sylvain Beucler <Beuc>
Incidentally, this is not something SF supports, because their policy is to
keep everything. It prevents a project to become proprietary and removing all
traces of the old free code.
Just my 2c.

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=102680>