[Savannah-hackers] [gnu.org #212478] where to send project for evaluatio

From: Karl Berry via RT
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [gnu.org #212478] where to send project for evaluation?
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:02:01 -0400

Hi Sylvain and all,

Although the eval team has a procedure for helping authors with software
in early stages, I'm not sure if such a package could actually be
officially dubbed.  We'd have to ask rms for a definitive answer, if
it's important.  My personal view is that it would be pretty meaningless
to dub something GNU before it is written -- that could lead to GNU
vaporware.  Coming up with big and brilliant plans is (usually) not the
hard part.

On the other hand, if there is a reasonable amount of code, even if it
is not releasable or even necessarily compilable, then that can be
enough (though certainly not ideal).  For example, that oxygen package
you just sent through mentioned a url to the source, so I figure he's
somewhat further along than just planning.

Does that help?

Best,
karl