Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Distributed Library Project - savan

From: Jonathan Gonzalez V.
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Distributed Library Project - savannah
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:24:30 -0300

> Steffen Bauch <address@hidden> described the package as
> follows: License: gpl Other License: Package: Distributed Library
> Project System name: dlp Type: non-GNU

> http://www.thoughtcrime.org/software/dlp/ .

> DLP is a LAMP (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP/Perl) project for
> distributed librarys.

> Users create accounts complete with bios and interest enumerations,
> then list the books and videos that they own. Those users are then
> free to browse the books that others have listed - sorted by
> proximity, interest, and book commonality. If a book or video is
> available, a user can check it out directly from the owner.

> There is an ebay-style feedback system for managing trust - users
> who return books on time get positive feedback, while users who
> damage books or return them late get negative feedback. These points
> create an overall "score" that lenders can use to judge the
> trustworthiness of a borrower.

> The system also supports user reviews, reading lists, ISBN lookups,
> and collaboritve filtering.

> Current code is
> http://www.thoughtcrime.org/software/dlp/dlp-0.6.tar.gz

> There are already differnt sites online, e.g.

> http://www.communitybooks.org/ http://www.babelteka.org/

> Licence is GPL.

> Other Software Required: Linux Apache MySQL PHP Perl

> Other Comments: the project has already a sourceforge site
> http://www.sourceforge.net/dlp, the project developers want to
> change to savannah nongnu because of the bad performance of
> sourceforge cvs-server, developer mailing-list is at
> groups.yahoo.com dlp-dev. I am not sure if you can post without
> signing in.  Address is address@hidden

Hi Steffen Bauc:

I reviewed your Distributed Library Project (dlp), and there's some
licenses problems.

The Copyright Notices and License Notices are not in good conditions,
please check the GPL-Howto about how to use the GPL license:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

The INSTALL file is a documentation file so, would you be accord in
put it under the GNU FDL? you can check the license and how to use in
this URL: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html

In images/ directory you have some GIF image, please remove theses GIF
image files from your project and replace them with an other format
(such as PNG or JPEG).

Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW compression
algorithm which are used when making GIF files, it's impossible to
have free software to generate proper GIFs.  These patents also apply
to the compress program.

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html.

About the site at SourceForge.net we would like to see it closed since
we do not allow mirroring; until the SourceForge support close it
please modify the project description and web page to point to the
Savannah as the new home.

Regards