Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Midnight Express - savannah.gnu.org

From: Jonathan Gonzalez V.
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Midnight Express - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:20:31 -0300

> James Bergstra <address@hidden> described the package as
> follows: License: gpl Other License: Package: Midnight Express
> System name: mexpress Type: GNU

> driven, keystroke-efficient file manager.  The app will be a curses
> app.

> The principle of this browser is that it offers a list of options,
> and allows the user to pick one.  To this end, the main (tiny)
> software engine maintains it's current node in a graph, and at all
> times offers options corresponding to the out edges of that node.

> The app will be quick and efficient to use because it will aim to
> require the minimum number of keystrokes per option selection.

> The app will be flexible, extensible, and useful because
>  plugins will provide additional functionality to complement the
> graph traversal. The filesystem plugin will access the filesystem
> directory structure in this way.  Accessing a regular file will
> trigger a list of actions to perform on that file.  Actions like
> "open in vim", "open by mailcap", will launch independent file
> handlers, while actions like "bookmark", "delete", "select" will be
> handled internally.

> In the future I would like to incorporate plugins to make better use
> of "find", and to provide process management via what will look to
> the user like virtual directories.  On a more exotic note, I'd like
> to offer an ysm (icq client) plugin, mail handling, ftp, ssh access,
> and whatever else seems like it might be a good idea.

> Plugins will of course be supported through GUILE.  The rest of the
> program is written in ANSI C.

> This project is not written yet, but it has been through a few
> rounds of hacking and architecting, and i'm pretty happy with the
> current approach.  It is currently a 500-line ncurses-based crippled
> version of 'ls', but the source can be found at

> http://www-etud.iro.umontreal.ca/~bergstrj

> Other Software Required: NCurses

Hi James Bergstra:

I start the review to your project and I found that there's another
project with the same System name than your project, look here:

        http://www-dii.ing.unisi.it/~giorgetti/downloads.html

You should consider the change of your project system name to avoid
any confusion with the project above.

I cannot download the source from the page that you submit, so can you
send me the code to my email (address@hidden)? I'll review the
code to catch potencial legal issues early.

Regards