Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Active pending users?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Active pending users?
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:28:30 +0200

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 12:28:26AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> tapota :
>
> > On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:21:16PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> >> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> tapota :

> >> The search is made only of users that are not already member of a
> >> group.
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Here's the query (useradmin.php):
> >
> > $result = db_query("SELECT user_id, user_name, realname "
> >                    . "FROM user "
> >                    . "WHERE ((user_name LIKE '%$words1%') OR (realname LIKE
> > '%$words2%'))
> >                     AND (status='A') ORDER BY user_name LIMIT 0,26");
>

> What really needs to be checked is in fact member_add().
> The useradmin form apparently do not make checks on group membership
> (maybe forgotten, maybe avoiding for perfs). But member_add() test
> group membership.
>
> The problem could come from member_approve() also, but this function
> make no insert, only update.
>
> It would be interesting to know what the user exactly did about his
> account? Do you have user input?
>
> > Since this script only exists since the CERN branch from 2003/09, I
> > guess there was a bug in the previous member management code...
>
> Were these dupes created before 2004?

I am not sure I was clear enough. The problem is not that users were
added twice. The problem is that pending users, ie never logged on the
system (not group pending) were added to a group.

So these people never updated their SSH key, but still, being member
of an account, have a system account created.

We discovered them because they make the backend output Perl warnings.