Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Journal: The Editor - savannah.nong

From: Parkanyi Peter
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Journal: The Editor - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:28:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I've corrected the licence errors: headers and exception, as you said. SWT source code is now included. But, when I tried to compile the stuff with GCJ(only Journal), it worked (not, with ant's javac task, but with some workaround), however when i tried to compile SWT too, it failed. And GIJ didn't find the needed native libs(lib/*.so). So it isn't working now. The build.xml provides compile script for Jikes, but it neither like SWT: compile failed.

So you can test the updated tar in:
http://peepy.uw.hu/journal/files/journal0.1-r1.tar.bz2

Yours sincerely,

        Peter Parkanyi

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Alaska Subedi wrote:

address@hidden writes:

> Párkányi Péter <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Journal: The Editor
> System name: journal
> Type: non-GNU

> Journal is a text editor had written in Java using the SWT library, ant,
JFace, and bash. It have all the base editor functions (cut,save,copy,etc.).It can
use plugins(no API spec. unfortunately), and languages. It builds by an ant script
what generates a runner script(had written in bash). There are only one release at
the moment, and it's using JFace as i told above. Because JFace needs the Eclipse
runtime, it will be replaced by an own stuff soon(in the next release perhaps).
The base package contains a configurator plugin, English, Hungarian, and German
languages, and some icons. The icons haven't made by me. For more information see
icons/icons.txt. You can download the tar compressed by bzip2 from
http://peepy.uw.hu/journal/files/journal0.1.tar.bz2 . Every error messages logged
in $HOME/.journal.log .That's all, I think.

> Other Software Required:
> - SWT(included)
> - JFace(included)
> - Eclipse runtime(included)
> - Ant with all the tasks
> - Java virtual machine(GCJ will supported in the future, the Sun version
reccomended, but it works with others, too)
> - GTK(or something Motif but when Motif, it needs to change the SWT lib.)
> - Java compiler(javac and/or jikes)
>
> Other Comments:

Eclipse, SWT and JFace are released under CPL (I guess they are
transitioning to EPL). The license is a free software license, thus
acceptable as a dependency. However, it is not compatible with the GNU
GPL, and since `journal' is released under the GNU GPL, it cannot use
those libraries.

You can either try to convince the Eclipse group to switch their
license (others are already tring, without much success) or to drop
the dependencies. You may also use an exception for their license
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs).

The package contains some libraries whose source code is not provided.
The headers in the source files are also incomplete. For more
information on this issue, please see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html. The notices point to GPL
v2 only, we only host projects which have GPL v2 or later.

Could you also please clarify if it works with any free Java implementation?

You must determine whether your project can run on a Free Software Java
suite (see http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for more information).

We recommend you to test your project using GCJ and GNU Classpath, and
ensure that your Java code runs on this Free Software Java suite.

GCJ is the GNU Compiler for Java, part of the GCC (GNU Compiler
Collection).  The Classpath project aims to develop a free and portable
implementation of the Java API (the classes in the 'java' package).

More information is available at http://gcc.gnu.org/ and
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/,

Please address these issues and provide me the URL of the updated
tarball. Do not hesitate to ask question if there is an confusion or
you do not understand some of these issues.

Thanks,

Alaska Subedi