[Savannah-hackers] Custom license for new savannah.nongnu.org project?

From: Richard Guenther
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Custom license for new savannah.nongnu.org project?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:25:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

I'm currently looking for a place to hosting the POOMA library.
Apart from SourceForge there is you (savannah.nongnu.org) and
Gna! that I consider.  A problem may be the POOMA library
isn't licensed under one of the well-known open source licenses,
but rather:

-----
This software and ancillary information (herein called "SOFTWARE")
called POOMA (Parallel Object-Oriented Methods and Applications) is
made available under the terms described here.  The SOFTWARE has been
approved for release with associated LA-CC Number LA-CC-98-65.

Unless otherwise indicated, this SOFTWARE has been authored by an
employee or employees of the University of California, operator of the
Los Alamos National Laboratory under Contract No. W-7405-ENG-36 with
the U.S. Department of Energy.  The U.S. Government has rights to use,
reproduce, and distribute this SOFTWARE. The public may copy, distribute,
prepare derivative works and publicly display this SOFTWARE without
charge, provided that this Notice and any statement of authorship are
reproduced on all copies.  Neither the Government nor the University
makes any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or
responsibility for the use of this SOFTWARE.

If SOFTWARE is modified to produce derivative works, such modified
SOFTWARE should be clearly marked, so as not to confuse it with the
version available from LANL.
-----

This sounds like a BSD-ish license, and to comply with the last
sentence it is probably enough to call the project OpenPOOMA or
similar.  I'd amend the license so that newly contributed code
would fall under the MIT license which seems compatible to the
above.

Would you guys at savannah be happy to host this project?

Thanks for information,
Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at uni-tuebingen dot de>