Re: [Savannah-hackers] Custom license for new savannah.nongnu.org projec

From: Richard Guenther
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Custom license for new savannah.nongnu.org project?
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:14:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This license looks free and compatible with the GNU GPL, hence can be
> used for a Savannah project.
>
> If you want confirmation, you may want to ask address@hidden about
> it.
>
> On a side now, note that Savannah supports projects of the Free
> Software movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.
>
> We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
> that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While I understand the difference between free software and open source,
I fail to see the connection to licensing issues (if the license is
open source).  POOMA in its current form does not depend on non-free
software, but allows using of packages that are currently discontinued
and with either a similar license as POOMA, or (sadly) no license
available.  I plan to rip out support for those discontinued packages -
should I do this before a possible move to savannah or afterwards?

Thanks again,
Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at uni-tuebingen dot de>