Re: [Savannah-hackers] Custom license for new savannah.nongnu.org projec

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Custom license for new savannah.nongnu.org project?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:53:38 +0200

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 11:14:07AM +0200, Richard Guenther wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This license looks free and compatible with the GNU GPL, hence can be
> > used for a Savannah project.
> >
> > If you want confirmation, you may want to ask address@hidden about
> > it.
> >
> > On a side now, note that Savannah supports projects of the Free
> > Software movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.
> >
> > We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
> > that is not dependent on proprietary software.
>
> While I understand the difference between free software and open source,
> I fail to see the connection to licensing issues (if the license is
> open source).  POOMA in its current form does not depend on non-free
> software, but allows using of packages that are currently discontinued
> and with either a similar license as POOMA, or (sadly) no license
> available.  I plan to rip out support for those discontinued packages -
> should I do this before a possible move to savannah or afterwards?

Sorry for not being clear.

What I meant is that we would like you to use a proper wording when
hosting your project at Savannah. As you mentioned the term "open
source" (I think twice) in your original e-mail, I noted our emphasize
on "free software".

Since you have apparently no dependency to proprietary software, you
can submit your project at Savannah right now. During the approval
process, we will have a closer look at your project.