[Savannah-hackers] Savannah Registration: xadreco

From: Michael McTails
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah Registration: xadreco
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:33:19 -0400

</x-tad-smaller>

<x-tad-smaller>A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
This mail was sent to </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>address@hidden</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>, </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>address@hidden</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>

Ruben Carlo Benante <</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>address@hidden</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Xadreco, the chess engine.
System name: xadreco
Type: GNU

Xadreco, the chess engine.

The home page, and source code can be dowloaded at:
</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>http://www.geocities.com/pag_sax/xadreco/</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>

Xadreco is a chess engine that run on your machine and play a game against you,
and it can be used with the front-end XBoard
(</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>)

The project should improve the tactical/strategical play of the engine, include
an opening book and ending book, and what else could lead to a very strong
chess engine playing.

Also, the engine should be used to help you analyze your games, and it should
understand all the XBoard/Winboard communication protocol.

It is one goal of the project to use standard C language, that could compile on
Unix or 32-bit Windows, and so, can be used with XBoard for Unix or WinBoard
for Windows.

Other Software Required:
The source code can be compiled using gcc, with the GNU-DEV-C++ compiler
(</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>http://www.bloodshed.net/</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>).
It was wrote in C language, and the includes used are:
#include <conio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdio.h>

Other Comments:
I would like to ask if it was correct to say, as I said in the source-code, and
if is still a GNU/GPL licence, when I put the sentence:

//If you redistribute it and/or modify it, you need to
//cite the original source-code and author name:
//Ruben Carlo Benante.
//email: </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>address@hidden</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>
//web page: </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>http://www.geocities.com/pag_sax/xadreco/</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>
//address:
//Federal University of Pernambuco
//Center of Computer Science
//PostGrad Room 7-1
//PO Box 7851
//Zip Code 50670-970
//Recife, PE, Brazil
//FAX: +55 (81) 2126-8438
//PHONE: +55 (81) 2126-8430 x.4067

I know that the main objective of the GPL is to protect the freedom of the
programmer, and that the GPL is not against the author. So, I believe that only
to cite the authors name will give some credit to who invented the source code,
even if it was modified. Thank you very much. Ruben.</x-tad-smaller>