Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of assameselinux - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of assameselinux - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:40:33 +0100

> sunaram patir <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: assameselinux
> System name: asomiyalinux
> Type: non-GNU

> This project is aimed at providing free computing in Assamese
> Language. Since GNU/Linux is where we can accomplish it, we have
> decided to localise linux into Assamese. For that purpose i have
> specifically chosen Mandrake linux. Mandrake linux will be supported
> in Assamese with GNOME as the desktop environment for the first
> time. Then we will translate KDE. I need a platform where I can
> contact with more people. I want to use this as the platform. There
> is no open source true type font for Assamese, I have to create it
> and make it available through this platform. Many more things there
> for which I have to avail the resources provided here.
> I have just begun translating GNOME and Mandrake linux. So I can't
> show you sample of my work.
>
> Other Software Required:
>      This project will depend solely on free softwares as i see now.
>
> Other Comments:
>     Please look at (1)http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html
>     Language name: assamese , coordinator name: sunaram patir
>   (2)http://www.mandrakelinux.com/l10n/as.php3

I approved your project.  You will receive an automated e-mail
containing detailed information about the approval.

However, let me get your attention on a point:

> There is no open source true type font for Assamese

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software movement, not
projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means
something pretty close to Free Software, it's frequently
misunderstood.  For more information, please see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.