Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of 'aroundme', Barnraiser´s social ne

From: Alaska Subedi
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of 'aroundme', Barnraiser´s social networki - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:26:03 -0500

Tom Calthrop wrote:
Hi Alaska,

Damn, that's a shame. I replied straight away. Sorry about that. You can download it from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aroundme/

If there is anything wrong with the source please let me know and I will immediately release a new version with appropriate changes.

Thanks very much for your help!

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The source files in the tarball do not have copyright and
license-to-copy notices. A typical license notice is given in
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices.html#License-Notices
This notice should be preceded by a copyright notice which is
of the form:
        Copyright (C) year1, year2 copyright-holder

I have made a header file for you which should go at the top of
every source file. Please check that file and make sure that
copyright information is correct. Also, since you are allowing
others to copy, modify and distribute your program by releasing
in terms of GNU GPL, you should not have `All rights reserved'
in the copyright statement.

I have attached two files with this email: head.header and header.sh.
The file head.header contains the notices and header.sh is a script
which will add the contents of header file at the top of every file
with .php extension. Run this script from the base directory to
put the notices at the top of every .php file. BEFORE running
this script please make a backup of your source directory.

I could not determine if you wrote aroundme.sql or it was copied
from some other source. If you wrote it, please put the license notices
at the top of that file too. If it was used from some other source,
please verify with the original author that you can use it.

Instead of LICENSE.txt please put a copy of GNU GPL v2 in a file
name COPYING and refer to this file for copying conditions from
README file. A copy of GNU GPL v2 can be found at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

Please remove GIF image files from your project and replace them with an
other format (such as PNG or JPEG).

Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW compression
algorithm which are used when making GIF files, it's impossible to have
free software to generate proper GIFs.  These patents also apply to the
compress program.

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html.

The images should be released in some free license. Please
note the copyright and licence of the images in README file.

Once the project is accepted at Savannah, you should close your
SF account because Savannah does not allow mirroring of projects
on its server.

Please address these issues and reply me with the updated source code
and I will approve this project.

Thanks,
Alaska Subedi

Alaska Subedi wrote:

Tom Calthrop wrote:

Hi Alaska,

Could you give me an update on the progress of our submission? We really want to kick off the project on Savannah. I appreciate that you are busy, but our funding and roadmap depends on us knowing roughly when we will get acceptance/denial of Savannah. Is there any chance of getting an update?

Hi,

I have been actually waiting for your reply. I had asked you to forward
the code to me via email. But I never recieved the code. My mail filter
may have deleted you email. Also, I could not find a way to download the
source code at the website.

We want to check the source code to make sure that it meets all the
legal requirements (like putting appropriate copyright and license-to-
copy notices, etc.) to be released in terms of the specified licenses.

Please reply me with the source code and if everything is alright, I
will immediately approve your project. If you want the webpage at
Savannah immediately and you don't have much time to deal with source
code right now, please assure me that there will be appropriate notices
as specified in
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html#Copyright-Notices
and
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices.html#License-Notices
And I will approve your project for inclusion in Savannah.

Thanks,

Alaska Subedi

Thanks in advance,

Tom

asubedi wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing the your submission at Savannah.

address@hidden writes:

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
> > tom calthrop <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: > Package: 'aroundme', Barnraiser´s social networki
System name: aroundme
Type: GNU
'aroundme', Barnraiser´s social networking and team interaction

software. 'aroundme' has three central components, social network, groupware, activities and task management.

> 'aroundme' is a 'web standard' product. It will work with

standard web server configurations such as a typical Linux distribution running Apache and PHP services or a Microsoft server running IIS and PHP. These are available from most internet service providers (ISP) should you wish to host externally.

> 'aroundme' takes up a small amount of disk space (appox 3mb). The

amount of space given to each user for image storage is configurable at installation. Awarding large disk quotas to users will increase your disk space usage which if with an ISP will increase your costs.

> 'aroundme' is easy to install and configure for personel trained

in server administration. Please note, we are very sorry but we do not have the resources to support you if you are not within our donor program.

http://build.barnraiser.org/aroundme/

> Other Software Required:
php 4.x
ADOdb (ADOdb currently supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, Interbase,

Firebird, Informix, Oracle, MS SQL 7, Foxpro, Access, ADO, Sybase, FrontBase, DB2 and generic ODBC)

Web server (Apache or IIS)
> Other Comments:
You cannot download our source from our site. We are in the process

of registering with sourceforge - downloads will be available there. I can email you the software to check if you like, however it is only php scripts and xhtml -> address@hidden if you want it.

> I know it has nothing todo with the source, however you may wish

to briefly read our organisational overview to get an overvirew of the greater project -> http://www.barnraiser.org/

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system that we like to refer
to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS to GNU/Linux?

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.

Please forward the code to me by email (address@hidden).

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at
the beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help catch
potential omissions such as these.

Also, note that when your project is approved, it will be approved as
non-GNU. To be accepted as a GNU project, the GNU evaluation team has
to approve your project.

Regards,

Alaska Subedi

// This file is part of aroundme
//
// Copyright (C) 2003, 2004 Barnraiser
// http://www.barnraiser.org/
//
// This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
// under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
// Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any
// later version.
//
// This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
// WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
// MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
// General Public License for more details.
//
// You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
// along with program; see the file COPYING. If not, write to the Free
// Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
// 02111-1307, USA.

for i in $( find ./ -type f -name *.php )
do
        cat head.header $i > temp.text
        # mv $i ${i}.bak
        mv temp.text $i