Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of ratpoison - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of ratpoison - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:58:43 +0100

Hi sabetts,

> Shawn Betts <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: ratpoison
> System name: ratpoison
> Type: non-GNU

> Ratpoison is a simple Window Manager with no fat library dependencies, no
> fancy graphics, no window decorations, and no rodent dependence. It is
> largely modelled after GNU Screen which has done wonders in the virtual
> terminal market.
>
> The screen can be split into non-overlapping frames. All windows are kept
> maximized inside their frames to take full advantage of your precious
> screen real estate.
>
> All interaction with the window manager is done through keystrokes.
> ratpoison has a prefix map to minimize the key clobbering that cripples
> Emacs and other quality pieces of software.
>
> http://ratpoison.sf.net is the current project web page.
>
> The latest stable release can be downloaded here:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ratpoison/ratpoison-1.3.0.tar.gz

There are some legal tasks to deal with.

Several files are lacking copyright and license notices.

In order to release your project properly and unambiguously under the
GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy statements
at the beginning of every file of source code.
For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

All files of more than 10 lines should carry appropriate notices.
Check http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

None of the copyright notices bear '2004' and should be updated.

We also recommand that you release the documentation under the GNU
FDL. You appear to be using an FSF pre-GFDL license ("translation
approved by the Free Software Foundation").

Other non-trivial text files should also carry a small notice, such as
an all-permissive one (see
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices.html) or a
reference to the main GFDL notice (see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto.html).

Last, we except that you will close your SF account, or make it a
redirection to Savannah, one the move is done. Do you agree with this?

> Other Software Required:
> none.

... besides X.

> Other Comments:
> I would like to migrate ratpoison from sourceforge over to savannah. I
> feel savannah is more aligned with the spirit of ratpoison and I don't
> like the direction sourceforge is going in.
>
> This means I'd have to get the cvs root from savannah. I'm not exactly
> sure how to do this. I would imagine you've done this before. Any
> information would be appreciated!

No problem.

This should be your latest cvs repository:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/ratpoison-cvsroot.tar.bz2
Check whether it is up-to-date.

If you have a way to get your mail archives as mboxes or as a list of
text e-mails, we can also import your mailing-lists.

Aside from the legal issues, your project can be hosted at
Savannah. Since you want to import the CVS repository, I suggest you
do the changes in it, and we'll approve the project and import it
then.

Please notify us when this is done.

- who by accident noticed today he was added to AUTHORS last november,
a little while before seeing this submission :)