[Savannah-help-public] [sr #104156] Is subversion to be provided anytime

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #104156] Is subversion to be provided anytime soon?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 00:09:42 +0200

This was a deliberated copy/paste, not a canned reply - from a user point of
view nothing changed: I cannot provide an ETA at the moment, because:
- the current CVS setup is built in a very special way, that is not
applicable to other SCMs, that we actively discussed among all the Savannah
stakeholders in order to drop it
- that special setup still has some pros, namely easing some
Savannah-specific behavior like granting write access to all www.gnu.org
webmasters to all GNU webpages, or supporting more than 32 groups(projects)
per user while Debian cannot. Those issues need to be and are currently
addressed.
- there was interest in supporting the official SCM instead of a foreign one
using obnoxious old-style BSD license (indeed not very technical
considerations :)), so SVN was not a priority. This may change.
- our latest biggest problem was that CVS commits are not signed. We recently
triggered work for the addition of this feature in CVS. This feature exists in
Arch and Monotone. In SVN itself, I don't think it exists - although SVK has
it. In order to avoid the issues we faced during last compromise, we would
rather support SCM with signed commits.
- the communication is far from optimal at the moment. This is true, and
we're working on it. And that's another delay.

So in the end I'm not able at all to tell you when SVN will be supported :/

And hence why I reused the previous text - admittedly that was a bit cheesy,
hopefully you'll forgive me, Mr. Anonymous :)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=104156>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/