[Savannah-help-public] [sr #105774] savannah login weird

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #105774] savannah login weird
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:18:24 +0000

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 06:59:37AM +0100, Peter Liscovius wrote:
> > I am using Konqueror 3.5.5 to type this reply.
> > I cannot reproduce the problem.
> >
> > The cookie test is performed when displaying the login form (using
> > redirections), not after you clicked the button, so your error is
strange.
> The cookie_probe is set im konqueror 3.1.4 when I click on
"Anmelden"(Login).

> > Is it possible for you try with this newer Konqueror version?
> Not at the moment. Maybe next week with a fresh burned knoppix. Idea: Is
there
> some javascript involved in the redirection? In my case it is switched off
by
> default.

No javascript is necessary. We want the website to be usable without JS.

> Sorry for not helping with ethereal tcpdump analysis, because I couldn't
peek
> into the ssl-connection. ;-)
>
> On the other side: Why do you need a http(s) redirection for a cookie
test???
> When clicking on "Anmelden/login" set a cookie, and when the user then
login
> with username and password you will see/can test if there is sent this
cookie
> back to server with the login request. So I don't understand why you need
> some extra redirection/make things complicate. And if login was successful

> the server sends back a cookie with the session key for that authenticated

> user and the user is logged in until session timeout or logout.

I used redirection to check the cookies settings _before_ the user enters
login/password.

Entering the password is password is tedious and you usually end up entering
it trice with common websites (once: you get rejected because of no cookies;
twice: you change the cookies settings and submit the form again but you
didn't reload the page first, so the cookie probe is still not set; trice: so
you get rejected to the login page again, but this sets the coookie probe this
time, and you can type your login/password a 3rd time...).

By using redirection no user intervention / form submission is necessary to
check the cookie availability.

That is, except that there's a problem in your case :)

seems
> to be unmaintained. It is my second project I browsed ever on savannah and
on
> both (the first was gnash) there were/are  mailing list infos incomplete
> (missing mailing list now fixed on gnash) or have wrong links. So I asume
> there is some principle problem in maintaining mailing list info on the web

> site? (needs manually updates by project admins instead of an automatic?)

In this case it's because sv-help-pub is an alias to sv-hackers. I fixed it.
We renamed the mailing list but I kept the old sv-hackers real name to keep
the archive links valid.

Mailing lists were managed differently through time, including manually, so
sometimes this need to be fixed indeed.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?105774>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/