[Savannah-help-public] checking out emacs

From: Geoffrey Knauth
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] checking out emacs
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:22:12 -0500

RMS asked me to help with the relicensing of emacs. I've having trouble checking it out. Here's what RMS asked me to do:

Begin forwarded message:
From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
Date: July 8, 2007 17:23:13 CDT
To: Geoffrey S. Knauth  <address@hidden>
Subject: Relicensing Emacs

Would you like to relicense the EMACS_22_BASE branch of Emacs now?
If so, please start by checking out that branch, installing the
new license in COPYING, and updating the headers in all the files
that refer to it.

What command(s) should I use? I tried the following things, which did not work:

;;; Wed 11 Jul 2007

$ export CVS_RSH=ssh
$ cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/sources/emacs co .
Permission denied (publickey).
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
$ cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/sources/emacs login
cvs login: can only use `login' command with the 'pserver' method
cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: :ext:address@hidden:/sources/ emacs

;;; Maybe I missed something above...

$ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/emacs login
Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/sources/emacs
CVS password:
cvs login: authorization failed: server cvs.savannah.gnu.org rejected access to /sources/emacs for user gsk

;;; Thu 12 Jul 2007
;;; on advice from rms

$ cvs -z3 -d address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs/ co emacs
ssh: cvs.subversions.gnu.org: No address associated with nodename
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)