Re: [Savannah-help-public] checking out emacs

From: Steven Robson
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] checking out emacs
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:39:02 +0100

On Thursday 12 July 2007 23:22, Geoffrey Knauth wrote:
> RMS asked me to help with the relicensing of emacs.  I've having
> trouble checking it out.  Here's what RMS asked me to do:
>
> Begin forwarded message:
> > From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> > Date: July 8, 2007 17:23:13 CDT
> > To: Geoffrey S. Knauth  <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Relicensing Emacs
> >
> > Would you like to relicense the EMACS_22_BASE branch of Emacs now?
> > If so, please start by checking out that branch, installing the
> > new license in COPYING, and updating the headers in all the files
> > that refer to it.
>
> What command(s) should I use?  I tried the following things, which
> did not work:
>
> ;;; Wed 11 Jul 2007
>
> $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
> $ cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/sources/emacs co .
> Permission denied (publickey).
> cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above
> messages if any)
> $ cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/sources/emacs login
> cvs login: can only use `login' command with the 'pserver' method
> cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: :ext:address@hidden:/sources/
> emacs
>
> ;;; Maybe I missed something above...
>
> $ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/emacs login
> Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/sources/emacs
> CVS password:
> cvs login: authorization failed: server cvs.savannah.gnu.org rejected
> access to /sources/emacs for user gsk
>
> ;;; Thu 12 Jul 2007
> ;;; on advice from rms
>
> $ cvs -z3 -d address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs/ co emacs
> ssh: cvs.subversions.gnu.org: No address associated with nodename
> cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above
> messages if any)

Geoffrey,

I checked your user record on Savannah. You need to register an ssh public key
before you will be able to check out emacs. Pserver is only available for
anonymous, read-only access.

You can add your key by going to:
https://savannah.gnu.org/my/admin/editsshkeys.php

Please allow time for the key to be enabled (I think the cron job runs
hourly).

The instructions for checking out emacs are here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs
(Under 'Project Member CVS Access via SSH')

Please let us know if you have further problems with this.

Cheers,

Steven