[Savannah-help-public] [sr #106715] my boyfriend's story

From: anonymous
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #106715] my boyfriend's story
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:43:09 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
        Operating System: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

To Whom It may Concern:

I am writing this letter in regards to my boyfriend who has had a great
injustice done to him and his civil rights. I am searching for any kind of
advise or support in how to get him a fair chance at receiving justice. On Jan
1st. 2009  he was in a convenience store restroom and  BRUTALLY detained by
three POLICE OFFICERS. He was TASED three times at close range, one being
directly to his groin and then beaten severely to the point of unrecognition.
He was hospitalized in the I.C.U. unit  for two days before being taken to
jail and charged for second degree assault (against whom, we don't know).
Unfortunately he can't remember most of the situation and there's alot of
questions that can't be answered.  We do know that the severity of his
situation was out of line and uncalled for. FORTUNATELY there is a video tape
from the convenience store surveillance. His public defender allowed him to
view a small portion of this tape and it showed him being beat up by the
police officers and the reaction of fear from the employees as the police were
dragging him out of the store by one arm and uncuffed. We have gotten copies
of his hospital records and they also describe the severity of his condition
when he arrived at the hospital and the report of seizures and of being
resuscitated (due to the tasers). We have not at this time been able to
obtained a copy of the discovery. He asked his public defender if she thought
they were a little excessive and she admittedly agreed. She expressed "It
looks like this could be another Rodney King case". The reason I am writing
this letter is because he has lost alot of his self confidence and security in
this case because of the charges that have been filed against him and the
thought of what may happen to him if he pursues this case. He won't believe
anything or trust anyone who can help him. I am afraid that if he don't do
anything to get any legal representation that justice will not be able to
prevail in his behalf. He is trusting  the " justice system" and thinks that
the "public defender" will represent him and fight for him in this case,
little does he understand that his complaint is totally separate from the
charges that he is facing. The state is not going to fight for him in a civil
case, let alone a case against them. We can't afford to retain private council
that will help us, and finding one on a contingency basis is almost
impossible. He's losing interest because of all the phone calls we've made
have not been very encouraging. I know that there is a way or someone out
there that can point him in the right direction to get help. I cannot sit by
and accept that what happened to him be forgotten, basically swept under the
carpet. I know that he did not deserve to be treated this way. PLUS, this is
NOT the first time that this has happened to him. The first time was totally
covered up by the police because there was no surveillance and he had to plead
guilty to charges of  2ND degree assault on a peace officer. There was a great
injustice done to him and his family. At that time he was also hospitalized
and resuscitated in the ambulance. They did not report him at the hospital or
jail and his mother could not locate for 3 days, until he was officially
booked into the jail. So I imagine the only evidence lies within the hospital
and on the police officers dash cam. Unfortunately its too late to pursue a
case in that matter, but I'm just mentioning  it so that you can understand
that he has had prior trauma done unto him at the hands of the police. No One
deserves to go through this experience. Thank you for your time and for
listening to what I have to say. All emails can be sent to
address@hidden  All responses and advise will be appreciated.
          Thank you again.           Sincerely,  A concerned girlfriend.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106715>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/