Re: [Savannah-help-public] License change

From: Alexandre Becoulet
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] License change
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:44:50 +0100

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:22:33AM +0100, Alexandre Becoulet wrote:

Hi,

> > I would like to switch the qtlua project license to LGPLv3 to stick to Qt
> > and QtScript and license change. Thanks.

> Do you know that you do not have to change your license?
>
> (Incidentally Qt did not switch to LGPLv3, but added LGPL v=2.1 in
> addition to GPLv3)

Yes, I have read the http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html article and
really thought about it. It is not an easy to take decision. What's me make
belive LGPL may be suited for my project is this part of the article:

"The most common case is when a free library's features are readily available
for proprietary software through other alternative libraries. In that case,
the library cannot give free software any particular advantage, so it is
better to use the Lesser GPL for that library."

The QtScript module is very close to QtLua and is now embedded as a core part
of Qt. It was not the case when I started to develop QtLua back in 2006. Even
if QtScript is internally produced by Nokia, it is not proprietary software
though. But QtScript is LGPL, making use of GPL of less interest to stand
against proprietary software is that particular Qt/scripting related software
area. That's why I doubt using GPL here still give any advantage to free
software or to the project.

--
Alexandre