Re: [Savannah-help-public] Should we use savannah for non-software open

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Should we use savannah for non-software open source GNU GPL project ?
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 06:40:51 -0400

   [1:text/plain Hide]

   We know this question might be seemed stupid by many of us, but it is a
   real question.
   We are developping an open source project, certainty based on GNU-GPL
   license, but applied to non-software.

Please don't say that the GNU GPL is a open source license, the GNU
GPL is a free software license, and written by a group that puts the
rights of users first, not second -- the free software movement.
While it might be classified as an open source license, the open
source movement had nothing to do with the creation of the GNU GPL.

   Indeed, we are developping small wind turbines, around the same
   process of developpement of opensource 3D printers REPRAP project.
   We know that many will say "hey guys ! GNU GPL is for software
   !". Yes, we know. But, as written in the licence text and in
   explain in FSF web site, GNU-GPL could maybe be used for
   non-software purpose, under certain condition of code source
   definition. Then, we would like to try.

   Then, we wander if savannah could be used for our purpose, instead
   of using a standard wiki based developpement tool.  What do you
   think ? Possible ? Absolutly not possible ? Just try ?

As I understand it, you are creating some kind of hardware (wind
turbines) and wish to license the schematics under a free software
license.  That is all fine, I suggest you read the host requirements:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

Happy hacking!