Re: [savannah-help-public] Webpage with information on Savannah status?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Webpage with information on Savannah status?
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:33:00 -0600

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> These last days, I have been experiencing considerable slowdowns
> when using SVN on Savannah.  Is there some reason for that?

Could you keep track of the time of day when you have experienced
problems?  Also if you were dealing only with subversion or if you
were also dealing with a web page interface to subversion.  (The web
page interface uses a frontend machine that interfaces to the backend
vcs machine.)

The subversion backend VM instance is named "vcs" and has a load
problem that happens in the middle of the night local -0500 timezone
time.  It sometimes hits a load of 30 or so.  During that time it just
doesn't respond very fast.  The middle of the night part has gotten in
the way of anyone having been able to debug it.  Several of us have
looked at the problem but mostly we are not awake when the problem is
occurring.  It has been discussed on the mailing list.

Our best thoughts now is that it is from backup.  We have asked the
FSF admins to implement a bandwidth limit on the backup process but so
far AFAIK this has not been implemented yet.

> It might be nice to add a link in the margin of the website to
> some page with information on possible network problems,
> e.g. under the Site Help header.  Maybe such a page already exists,
> but I could not easily find it.

Just recently a new status notification page was announced.  I will
note that there isn't much activity there.  It was announced two
months ago and there have been no postings there yet.

  https://www.fsf.org/blogs/sysadmin/new-fsfstatus-notification-account

Bob