[savannah-help-public] [sr #106581] doing something about stale jobs?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #106581] doing something about stale jobs?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 22:46:33 +0000

Hi Assaf - nothing to apologize for; I'm all for directness :).  I just
wanted to know if there was something better than Savannah's jobs that
we could use for GNU "technical help wanted" organization in general.

I completely agree that all the specific jobs you've mentioned are
clearly postings that should be updated or removed.  Please go ahead
with them.

However, I guess I resist the notion that a job has to be "recent" as
defined purely by date of modification.  My job posting for Texinfo is
not recent, but it is still valid, and there is nothing to change in the
text:
https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewjob.php?group_id=1548&job_id=561

Regarding your "effective method" (I hate web interfaces that make
quoting such a pain), I agree with #1 and #2, I strongly disagree with #3
and #4, and #5 depends on what we call "outdated".  The kinds of posts
you have noted are outdated, and fail criteria #2 as well.  But not just
because a post was done X years ago.  (Contacting the poster to see if
it's still relevant would always be fine, but not just removal.)

Also, I see nothing wrong with generic/permanent "we need developer"
posts, like for the Hurd.  If and since Savannah jobs are "GNU help
wanted", well, having a job posting is our recommended way to get
visibility to potential contributors.  Not every project would want
such; for example, I don't have such one for Texinfo (any more) because,
amazingly enough, new people came forward as a result of my previous job
postings.

Regarding decommissioned packages: Brandon and I are generally the one
who implement the "decommissioning", and it has been simply one step too
many to deal with deleting old jobs, and besides, people often come
forward wanting to clean up the job list (even though almost nothing has
ever actually happened :().  Please go ahead and remove any such!

Regarding -unavailable-: isn't this at least sometimes because email
addresses are not exposed unless you're logged in?  I don't see
-unavailable- when I look at the findutils job
https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewjob.php?group_id=3972&job_id=542
I see the (incorrect :) address@hidden, not -unavailable-.

You might argue that email addresses in job postings should be exposed
to people not logged in, but that's a different conversation.

Thanks for taking this one.

karl

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106581>

  Message sent via/by Savannah