Re: [savannah-help-public] [sr #106581] doing something about stale jobs

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] [sr #106581] doing something about stale jobs?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:51:50 -0400

Hello Brandon,

On 08/13/2014 01:03 PM, Brandon Invergo wrote:
Thanks for the interest in picking this task back up.  The topic of
cleaning up the list has come up a few times so I think there is still
merit to the idea, thankless slog of a job that it may be.

One thought (without knowing anything about the software backend): might
it be easier to just hide items older than X years rather than deleting
them, and make them still be viewable via an "Old items" link?  Then no
one will have to dig through all the old posts to verify that they're
still relevant,

I do not mind doing it manually. It might take me couple of days, but it's
doable.

                no one might get offended by their post being removed,

To put things in perspective: we're talking about 300 items, more or less.
More than %80 are stale.
Looking for a web-designer in 2002 is not relevant;
Looking for a python developer in 2005 is not relevant;
Looking for a programmer for a decommissioned project is not relevant;
Looking for a developer for a project which did not commit a single line of
code to a CVS repository in 11 years is not relevant.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's my opinion;
To move Savannah forward, some serious purging is necessary (BTW, I'm having
much more heretical purging thoughts.... but that's for another flame war :) ).

I offered (and still offer) to contact every developer who posted a job *if*
their project is still active,
explain the situation and ask them to either repost or delete the item.

The issue is not technical. I can do it manually.

The issue is whether you (Savannah chiefs) agree or not, since I'm new here and
I will not do it without consensus.

That is, of course, only if that part of the code is easy to hack on.

I hope to get to know the front-end code well enough to improve it,
but I think that if this task can be done without code changes - the better.

 - Assaf.