Re: Separate repository for translations

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Separate repository for translations
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 18:23:11 -0600

Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> Julien Lepiller wrote:
> > The platform is able to commit directly to the project, but we are
> > a bit worried to give an external tool write access to our
> > repositories. We'd like to create a separate repository, in a
> > separate namespace (not guix), as the access rights are granted
> > per-namespace (unless I'm mistaken, in which case we'll use our
> > namespace). Is that possible? What is the procedure?
> >
> > I saw the form to ask for a new project, but since it's not really
> > a new project, I am unsure whether it is the proper place to ask
> > for that.

I can think of sevaral ways to do this.  It's rather six of one and a
half dozen of the other.

> Not an expert in this, but I think that in savane, the commit access
> is given per-project. It is the people listed as project "members",
> who get commit access to any branch. So for translations I
> personally would click the 'new project request' button and prefix
> the name with 'guix-'.

I think this is the best way.  Because then it is exactly the same as
any other project.  And being exactly the same means that it will
assuredly behave and work right out of the box.

I can think of a few alternative suggestions but I like this one the
best so won't even describe the other options.  And this one has the
advantage that you could be the admin in both projects and so be able
to fix things when the automation has a problem.

Bob