[sr #110453] Failed to upload web pages

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110453] Failed to upload web pages
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 03:06:22 -0500 (EST)

I am not sure what the problem is at this time.  It's not my fault this time.
:-)

I think this might be snarled up with the storage array problem that hit
everything this morning.  Maybe.  Since that had global effects and caused
truly massively high load averages (fencepost was over 1100+!) which caused
some thing to time out.  I am only pondering this because everything else
looks okay.

The way this all works is that a hook is installed in the CVS loginfo.  The
previous problem (that is still not solved) is why the hook is not installed
on newly created projects.  But the hook is there.  And I have tested it.

The hook triggers a curl call to www.gnu.org to trigger it to update.  And
that seems to be where things are broken right now.  The www.gnu.org server is
configured to ignore the poke from anywhere but vcs1.  I manually triggered a
curl call to it.  It completed on the client side successfully.

This "new.py" python script on www.gnu.org has been a source of problems in
the past.  But I can see the request on the www.gnu.org side being logged.

Mar  1 02:44:54 wildebeest savannah-update: Update requested for type: non-gnu
(project ctlseqs)

So it got the request.  It logged the request.  But it did not do the request.
 When I go to look at the checkout directory I can see that it has not been
updated.

wildebeest:/var/www/savannah-checkouts/non-gnu/ctlseqs# cvs -qn up
U manual/ctlseqs.dvi.gz
U manual/ctlseqs.html
U manual/ctlseqs.html.gz
U manual/ctlseqs.html_node.tar.gz
U manual/ctlseqs.info.tar.gz
U manual/ctlseqs.pdf
U manual/ctlseqs.texi.tar.gz
U manual/ctlseqs.txt
U manual/ctlseqs.txt.gz
U manual/index.html
U manual/html_node/API-Reference.html
U manual/html_node/Contributing.html
U manual/html_node/Control-Sequence-Matching.html
U manual/html_node/Control-Sequence-Reading.html
U manual/html_node/Example-Programs.html
U manual/html_node/GNU-Free-Documentation-License.html
U manual/html_node/Helper-Macros.html
U manual/html_node/Matcher-Configuration.html
U manual/html_node/Matching-String.html
U manual/html_node/Overview.html
U manual/html_node/Patterns.html
U manual/html_node/Tips.html
U manual/html_node/Use-Scenarios.html
U manual/html_node/index.html

Using -n is a typical way to do a status check.  "cvs -qn up" is a cvs idiom
to check status by simulating an update without actually doing an update.  And
so I can see that there are updates available that it has not so far checked
out and updated.

The new.py is a python program and I am not a python person.  I'll grab
someone tomorrow to decipher it for me as it is not obvious to me the casual
observer exactly what it is doing.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110453>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/