[sr #110456] Registration requirements are inconsistent and confusing w.

From: Eli Schwartz
Subject: [sr #110456] Registration requirements are inconsistent and confusing w.r.t. GPL version
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 14:07:35 -0500 (EST)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
        Operating System: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/register/

> we only accept free software licenses that are compatible with the GPL

> Checklist
> My license is compatible with the GNU GPL or GFDL

This implies a GPL-2.0-only licensed project with many license holders will be
acceptable on savannah.nongnu.org

> I agree with the hosting requirements

https://savannah.nongnu.org/register/requirements.php

If you follow this link, the last item is licensing, which specifically calls
out compatibility with GPL-3.0-or-later.

This is unclear, because if you have two different pages that both say a
project needs to be GPL-compatible but one of them sticks a 3 on, you're going
to have well-meaning people reading the former and skimming over the latter
because they think they've already read this section on the previous page.

In order to reduce confusion (and possibly make people aware much earlier, if
their project is not suitable -- rather than after they fill out the form and
get rejected), I would appreciate if the "register new project" page would
clarify matters by directly calling out:

> we only accept free software licenses that are compatible with the GPL3

> Checklist
> My license is compatible with the GNU GPL3 or GFDL

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110456>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/