[sr #110456] Registration requirements are inconsistent and confusing w.

From: Ineiev
Subject: [sr #110456] Registration requirements are inconsistent and confusing w.r.t. GPL version
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 06:42:35 -0400 (EDT)

Update of sr #110456 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => ineiev

Follow-up Comment #1:

First, I agree that clarifying license-related hosting requirements wouldn't
hurt Savannah.

> > My license is compatible with the GNU GPL or GFDL
>
> This implies a GPL-2.0-only licensed project with many license holders will
be acceptable on savannah.nongnu.org

Why do you think it implies GPL-2.0-only?

> > I agree with the hosting requirements
>
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/register/requirements.php
>
> If you follow this link, the last item is licensing, which specifically
calls out compatibility with GPL-3.0-or-later.

In fact, we require compatibility with the GPL version 3.0 and any later
version; now, one could ask how we can tell if a license like Apache 2.0 is
compatible with GPL versions that don't exist yet.  Evidently, we assume that
future GPL versions are compatible at least with those permissive licenses
that are GPLv3-compatible.

That said, when people submit packages with incompatible licensing, it doesn't
take much Savannah admins' time to reject them.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110456>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/