[sr #110592] Privacy: Please don't include IP and UserAgent in email hea

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110592] Privacy: Please don't include IP and UserAgent in email headers
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 20:52:39 -0500 (EST)

Update of sr #110592 (project administration):

             Open/Closed:                  Closed => Open

log this.  For example this one from me.  Have no control over this.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-users/2021-10/msg00006.html

I must admit I always thought displaying that in the mailing list archives
seemed rather silly.  But many of those things were done due to problems with
abuse and therefore things were added as an anti-abuse mechanism.  I can't
think of any good use for the User-Agent though.  And of course it may be set
to anything.  I consider it untrusted data from user input.

The Savannah web UI is Savane and that sending code is of course this.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/administration/savane.git/tree/frontend/php/include/sendmail.php#n28

It mentions a "spamcheck" so this would need to be considered.  Therefore it
is probably there as an anti-abuse measure.

I'll open the ticket again and see what the others think.  I am inclined to
reduce the included information.  However I am swamped with other problems
that are urgently calling for my attention.  Patches sent to
savannah-hackers-public AT gnu.org for discussion are welcomed.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110592>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/