Re: [sr #110593] copyright year in header/footer stale

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [sr #110593] copyright year in header/footer stale
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 19:40:19 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
>     not to dynamically emit the current year in the copyright statement?
>     Of course that is different from the Copyright statement on the source
>     code for web sites.
>
> As far as I can recall, the FSF (rms) had legal advice to have the
> physical text "2022" appear in some file that is part of the web page,
> for the same reason as it is done in source files. I take your point,
> though.

The first rule to know when working with governmental rules and
regulations is this.

1) It does not have to make sense.

Whenever I forget this someone reminds me about rule number one.  It
does not have to make sense.

> At least, that was the advice as of a few decades ago. I rather doubt
> the question has come up in court, or if anyone has asked the question
> of the FSF's lawyers since. If you feel like pursuing it, feel free to
> ask copyright-clerk@gnu.org. Good luck :). --best, karl.

At some point I might ask again and see what the legal team says.
Because it would make some things incrementally simpler.

Bob