[Savannah-register-public] [task #4564] Submission of Hurd's AlteRnative

From: Sergio López
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4564] Submission of Hurd's AlteRnative Development
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:31:30 +0200

"Sergio, sorry, but I must call you a liar. You know perfectly well that the
branch in question is _NOT_ my branch"

You can claim what you want, but the facts are that, if you want that
something enters in "ams-branch", you must talk with Alfred. And, sincerely,
Alfred is a extremly rude person, that doesn't listen to nobody except
himself. Sorry, I can't work with him. (For the record, please check this
http://web.walfield.org/~deride/##hurd-20050824, but anyway, you can look to
a random day, and you'll read ams bitching someone with 75% of probability).

"Any type of interface changes should be thought about hard, since they break
things."

And what do you think I'm trying here
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2004-12/msg00242.html), here
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2005-07/msg00278.html) and here
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2005-08/msg00069.html)?
Claiming that a patch must enter into CVS? No! I'm asking design issues. Do
you suggest that I must wait a little more? I'm waiting since December 2004!

"I actually applied a patch that changed the
interface in libpager in ams-branch a few days ago, the ext2fs >2gb patch to
be exact."

1) That patch has took 2 years to enter into some official branch!

2) That patch is a great work, but it's changes on the interface are minimal
compared to which I propouse.

"You are asking that we should apply patches blindly."

No, I'm not (here you're the liar). I'm asking to know what changes are right
and what are not. Nobody answers. So I have 3 options:

1) Decide the design issues myself, invest a significant amount of work
alone, make it stable (!) and have the risk that the changes you've made
aren't right to maintainer's eyes (so time lose).

2) Wait for a reply

3) Do nothing and let the Hurd die silently (this is mostly the same that
"2").

"It is possible to maintain large changes outside the tree, the ext2fs patch
was maintained like that for a long long long time."

I repeat again, is extremly difficult to make clean patches when you're
touched the interface. Ext2fs patch only touches libpager a little ! Think
about changes in GNUMach/MiG and even Glibc!

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4564>