[Savannah-register-public] [task #6379] Submission of ProxyManager

From: Romain PELISSE
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6379] Submission of ProxyManager
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:20:11 +0000

Hi Patrick,

<Are JDOM and log4j logger mandatory to your project ??>

No, any compliant JVM ( meaning gcj or the sun's jdk) provides a XML api and
a logging API. Both those APIs are ugly and not very convenient but I can
refactor my code to only use them. However this will take sometime and it
will degrade the quality of my software ( jdom and log4j does not exist just
for fun, they really are a better implementation than the jvm's.

<The only thing I said is that the Apache Licence is incompatible with the
GNU GPL, and it is !!>

... or not ! :)

It's true that the following webpage states so :

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/info/Apache.html

... However, the following post :
http://apache.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/24/1658225

clearly states the opposite !

The trick is that Apache version 1.1 was not compatible, but v2 has been
modified to be compatible. Log4j is under the v2 (
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/, at the very bottom of the page) so i
can perfectly use it in my free and 'under GPL' software.

So it only leaves the problem of jdom.

As the jdom website states :
"JDOM is available under an Apache-style open source license, with the
acknowledgment clause removed. This license is among the least restrictive
license available, enabling developers to use JDOM in creating new products
without requiring them to release their own products as open source. This is
the license model used by the Apache Project, which created the Apache
server. The license is available at the top of every source file and in
LICENSE.txt in the root of the distribution."

However, i can't find, even in the sources, the version number of the licence
! Apache Licence V2.0 was released the January 2004, and jdom last release is
September 2004, so jdom could be under the V2 ... or not ! :|

As jdom's team has stated on their website, they designed their apache style
licence to be as permissive as possible, especially they have removed the
"acknowledgment clause". Maybe this is enought to make it compatible with GPL
? I don't know, i'll try to find under which precise version of Apache Licence
is jdom, and i let you know as soon as possible...

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?6379>

  Message posté via/par Savannah