Re: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #7903] Submission of Chestnut S

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #7903] Submission of Chestnut Scientific Toolkit Family
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:23:38 +0200

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:25:46AM +0300, Alexander Shulgin wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Damian Eads <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi Alexander,
> >

> > > 3. We don't recommend using phrase "All rights reserved" in copyright
> > > statements as it implies/suggests proprietary copyright.  Please remove it
> > > from your copyright headers.
> >
> > I should disclose that although we are committed to releasing all of our
> > source under the GPL, we believe that as owners of the copyright to the
> > code, we may sell non-free licenses for the code. Is that consistent with
> > having Savannah host the project?  (We understand that we may not re-license
> > contributions of others without permission.)
>
> I don't believe this is directly against Savannah policies, though,
> somewhat unpleasant.
>
> Also we have no control over already approved projects which authors'
> might have changed their mind, or have never expressed the intent to
> release their project under a non-free license.
>
> The only wiki page related to this I've found, states: "If your
> software is also available under a non-free license, please don't
> advertise this on Savannah."
> (https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/ProprietaryUseOfFreeSoftware)
>
> So what do you people think?

Well, I think this is still better than Expat-licensed software :)

In both cases the software may be used by proprietary vendors, but in
this case, they fund the free software developers (MySQL-style).

If, however, the proprietary version is somehow better than the free
one (VirtualBox-style), then that's different and problematic, because
this is enticing people to use proprietary software.

That being my personal opinion.

The wiki page sounds good - allowing this practice, but not mentioning
it at Savannah.

--
Sylvain