[Savannah-register-public] [task #9629] Submission of CAD Block Library

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9629] Submission of CAD Block Library for Hydronic Heating
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:08:28 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10326> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10326>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *CAD Block Library for Hydronic Heating*
* System Name:  *cad-hydronic-lib*
* Type: non-GNU software & documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later (My intent is that anyone
may use the symbols in the library freely to create drawings with no
restriction on the use or distribution of the drawings.  I also fully support
anyone including the library in a free or non-free drawing program so long as
it is identifiable as a seperate entity, and the license preserved.

I would want to see any changes or improvements to the symbols in the library
(including the creation of additional symbols) made freely available under the
same license terms, and hopefully returned to me so as to enable improving the
original.)

----

A library of 2D CAD "Blocks" in ASCII .DXF format for use in free or closed
source CAD programs that can read this format.  This type of library allows
for the repeated insertion of frequently repeated or standardized image blocks
in CAD drawings, without requiring them to be redrawn each time.

The blocks in this library are related to drawing plans for Hydronic (hot
water) based heating and cooling systems. They are not to scale or
representative of particular products, rather they are intended to be used in
producing the equivalent of an electronic schematic diagram.

The blocks were designed using the Professional(proprietary) edition of QCAD,
however the ASCII .dxf format file is a standard format that is openly
documented and maintained by AutoCad, that can be read by many free and
non-free CAD programs (The name stands for "Drawing eXchange Format" and was
developed by ACAD to allow sharing of drawing files between programs from
different companies)

The symbols were created by me, but derived from samples collected in
different places.

I have done extensive searching and been unable to find a free / low cost set
of hydronic drawing symbols, so have created this set for my own use, and
would like to share it.

==== Other Software Required: ====
No dependencies as such, however the library files are essentially useless
without the use SOME drawing program that can use and display them.

==== Other Comments: ====
Note that this is not really a program, but rather a set of data files for
use by a program.  As such I am not sure that it fits this sites objectives
perfectly.  If it does not, I'd appreciate any pointers to sites that might
work better for this use.  Also any suggestions for better (GPL compatible)
licenses would be welcomed.

I don't have the files in a ready to upload state yet, as I'm still figuring
out how best to include the appropriate licensing info in the blocks.  I am
getting closer though, and thought it would be important to get a place to
host them as well. (uploaded tarball does NOT have copyright notices,
licenses, etc. - provided the tarball to make site happy, would add these
things before making tarball public)

Any questions or other issues feel free to contact me.

Gooserider / Arthur Torrey (FSF member 5255)

==== Tarball URL: ====
http://savannah.gnu.org/submissions_uploads/CAD-hydronic-lib.tgz

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?9629>