[Savannah-register-public] [task #12780] Submission of Processing Instru

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #12780] Submission of Processing Instruction Configurator
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:54:29 +0000

Hi Rouven - Joan asked me to reply here.  Although I understand your position
(many people feel the same way), it is indeed a requirement to use "or later"
to be hosted on Savannah.  The reason is exactly that we want to ensure
maximal inter-compatibility for all projects that host.  A project licensed
without "or later" will be automatically incompatible with anything released
under the next version of the license -- sharing could not occur in either
direction, which defeats the whole purpose of free software.

So if you can't agree with "or later", we'll just have to decline to host, and
wish you happy hacking elsewhere.

All the b est,
Karl

P.S. I don't really understand your voting idea, but in any case, we have to
take the licenses as they stand, we can't just invent (or accept) new clauses
on the fly.  If you want to propose something for a future revision of the GNU
licenses, the place to write is address@hidden

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?12780>