[Savannah-register-public] [task #14667] Submission of Advanced Gtk+ Seq

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14667] Submission of Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer Library
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 09:35:18 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #12, task #14667 (project administration):

> Recently I have stated that libags_server.so is licensed under the terms of
the GNU AGPLv3+. The person corrected me and told we license source files and
not binaries.

*The* person? Who were they?

Certainly you can distribute binaries under the AGPLv3, it has specific
provisions for that case
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html#section6>; if you do, these
binaries are licensed under the terms of the GNU AGPLv3.

> You are complaining about copyright of generated files. I think it is
questionable if you can license them at all.

I believe I can.  When people download a binary installer, it usually comes
with a message saying the terms of use of the program it installs, that is,
license.  Why do you think generated files are not licensable?

> Another problem is more that as you run `autoreconf -fi` new versions of the
files are going to be installed. So copyright notice would be in first
instance misleading.

I again misunderstand you.  Please elaborate: how would it be misleading?

> Recently I read about RMS arguing with free software license you should
obtain a patent, too. Is this yet solved?

I'm not sure what you are speaking about.  Could you share a link?

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14667>