sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] where are the docs????

From: Yaron Minsky
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] where are the docs????
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:08:54 -0400

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:25:44 +0200, Robert Urban <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Yaron,
>
> thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
>
> Yaron Minsky wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:47:43 +0200, Robert Urban <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > The README sort-of explains how to build a database using a keydump,
> > > but what about if I just want to start with an empty database?
> >
> > Starting with an empty database is not well-supported.  If someone
> > else has had luck with this, they should mention it, but I've had
> > problems when I've tried it.  Things work best if you start with a
> > fairly recent keydump.
>
> that's exactly the problem.  I'm setting up a keyserver for a intranet
> (private).  I don't need or want a massive dump of public keys.

Ah, if you want to set up a private keyserver, that's different.
Starting with an empty database works fine then.  The only problem
comes when you synchornize with a fully-loaded server, which I've seen
some problems with.

The only problem with running a private keyserver is that you get
those annoying messages if you don't set up a mailsync file.
Everything else should work fine.

I think your actual problems came from running "sks dump" on a live server.